Elizabeth City, NC – Children’s imaginations will take flight when Port Discover opens its newest exhibit, Getting off the Ground, on Saturday, October 8. The official opening for the aviation science exhibit is scheduled for 11:00 am, it's free, and open to the public.
Made possible through a grant from Piedmont Natural Gas Foundation, Getting off the Ground is an engaging and kid-friendly aviation exhibit featuring:
- Port Discover Air Control Tower – Kids try their hand at air traffic control activities and features audio feed of conversations from air traffic control towers.
- Hot Seat Flight Simulator – Children become pilots and try their hand at flying various airplanes.
- Paper Plane Station – Kids create paper air planes and test their flight capability.
- The Aviator I Can Be – Children dress up as various aviation-related professionals
The Getting off the Ground exhibit is just one component of Port Discover’s aviation program designed for preschool to school-aged children. Upcoming Getting off the Ground programs include:
- November 12: Second Saturday Science Program: The Plain Truth about Planes: Elton Stone, director of aviation maintenance technology at The College of the Albemarle, presents a program on the variety of flight components and what children need to do to become aviation professionals.
- November 17: Toddler Time Program: Up, Up and Away: Children will participate in a variety of hands-on activities all featuring the magic of flight.
- November 17: Afterschool Science Program: Aviation Exploration: An afternoon featuring fun and interactive aviation-based programs.
In addition, the Getting off the Ground project includes a series of Family Flight Nights. At these events, Port Discover educators and aviation volunteers visit local elementary schools with aviation programs and information. A highlight of the evening is a drawing for a free airplane ride for a lucky student!
Getting off the Ground is funded by the Piedmont Natural Gas Foundation and was directed with the assistance of the Port Discover Aviation Science Advisory Council. Port Discover’s Aviation Science Advisory Council includes: Dr. Anthony Sharp, Elizabeth City State University; Elton Stone, The College of the Albemarle; Scott Hinton, Elizabeth City Regional Airport; Wayne Harris, Albemarle Economic Development Council; Lt. Tom Huntley, US Coast Guard; Lloyd Griffin, Chair, Pasquotank County Commissioners; Frank Heath, Elizabeth City Pasquotank Public Schools.
Port Discover is located at 611 East Main Street in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. The science center’s hours are Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, and Saturday from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. Programs can be arranged at other times for special groups. For more information, call 252-338-6117 or www.portdiscover.org.
Port Discover is a community-based, non-profit organization, established to enhance the public’s understanding and enjoyment of science through engaging programs, activities, and exhibits. Elizabeth City State University along with the Elizabeth City Area Chamber of Commerce initiated the project that has attracted broad community support, including Elizabeth City Morning Rotary, College of the Albemarle, Albemarle Hospital, Museum of the Albemarle, Elizabeth City Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools. Port Discover is also a member of the NC Grassroots Science Museum Collaborative.